Friday, June 27, 2008

To bike or not to bike?

This has been the question on my brain for the past few days. Bikes are a common mode of transportation here in Cambridge, and I have noticed that more than a few of my colleagues ride their bikes to work. It looks sort of fun and, let’s face it, I am still new enough at the DCP to ponder strange activities of which I don’t normally engage in an effort to fit it. So, after much thought and reflection, I have decided not to bike. Here are my reasons:
  1. Cambridge is really beautiful and because of the extraordinary number of incredible gardens, it smells really nice too. I mean it really smells nice. Often I walk into these little pockets of gorgeous smelling goodness and then I am happy. I think I would miss some of the beauty and the nice smells if I were zipping along on a bike.
  2. I don’t live that far from work. When I move into my new place, I’ll be even closer to work.
  3. It is not uncommon to see men in tuxedos riding bikes. Seriously. I saw five on my way home today. As it turns out, Liz was right when she said Cambridge is a place where you will find men in tuxedos all the time. I’ve seen a few women whiz by me in fancy clothes on bikes as well. I just don’t think I’m the sort of person that can hop on a bike in my pretty skirt. In addition, I don’t want to haul a change of clothes to work (especially since no one else seems to change into different clothes upon arrival at work).
  4. I’m still not used to people driving on the other side of the road. About twice a day (and sometimes more) I almost walk into traffic because I look the wrong way before crossing the street. If I were on a bike, I would most certainly die. In the gruesome scenario I was creating in my head that ends in bicycle tragedy, I had visions of my poor new boss having to call my mother to say that I absent-mindedly rode my bike into on coming traffic. Of course, my sensible mother would tell her she must be mistaken because her daughter isn’t the sort of girl that rides bikes. Charissa on a bike in Cambridge is bad every way you cut it.
  5. Last but not least, there is the little voice in my head that reminds me I haven’t actually ridden a bike in, say, twenty years. I know that there is the saying “its like riding a bike, you never forget” but I am not terribly confident that I would remember. And I know that I don’t want to arrive at work one morning with road rash from head to toe from some bike mishap (in this scenario I see the tragedy as including one of the cows that grazes over at Kings) and have to explain myself. Couple that with reason four, and well, it is clear that I will stick with having feet firmly planted on sidewalks.

If you are reading this post, you should think about commenting or sending me an email. Like a kid at summer camp—I want mail!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

This reminds me of the last time I thought to myself - "Hey, you used to ride a bike, why not try again?" I was 23, a counsellor at over night camp for music geeks. It was nightime, and my turn to patrol the camp to make sure that no hanky panky was going on. I got on this ten-speed, owned by a tall trumpeter, and careened around the very hilly grounds for my dutiful hour. Wobbly, but not horrible. And then I discovered that I didn't know how to stop anymore, and my legs were too short to drag on the ground (which was most of the problem) so I just had to fall off.
I aplaud your decision not to ride a bike in Cambridge, in other words.

Angela said...

I've been riding my bike to & fro work twice (OK, honestly, maybe once) a week. I figure it saves me, what, $5 a day? But on the way back, it's all uphill. Which, as nice as it is to come up to the top of the hill (Bloor) and see it as the finish line ... also kind of sucks. But it does help one to be more observant: that car is about to turn right in front of me and run me over. These pedestrians are going to walk right in front of me because they think I am smaller than a car and won't hurt them if I run them over or that I can somehow stop more quickly than a car. Or: that biker just stopped right in front of me without signalling for no apparent reason. Or that biker in front of me is reading a magazine while biking. Or this crazy woman is screaming at the bikers IN THE BIKE LANE to hurry so that she can get in a taxi parked IN THE BIKE LANE because she is late to work. Oh, and look, some prostitutes early in the morning. I never notice these things in the subway or streetcar... in other words, perhaps a whole new world will open for you if you decide to bike. You just might not like it! (but if you do it, always wear impractical shoes. The higher the heel the better. People will respect you.)

Jessica said...

Well, Charissa, the gauntlet has been tossed. Do you follow my advice (not to ride a bike), or Angela's advice (to ride a bike in stilettos?). Choices, choices.

charissa said...

I think you guys confirmed my decision not to bike. I confess I had not even considered the concerns Angela raised. My biggest worry was actually staying on the bike and not getting hit by a bus.
I did bring my fancy schmansy heels, though. I figure they will help on those events where the men are wearing tuxedos. And I have seen women here biking in stilettos.
I applaud you both for braving the bikes--you are my heros!