I took a train from King’s Cross to Cambridge bright and early Thursday morning (and for all of you Harry Potter fans, yes my many bags and I walked by platform 9 ¾). The trip isn’t very long (just over an hour), but it was a pretty full train. Given that I was getting sick of hauling my crap all over town, I rested easy on the trip knowing that Peter’s flat is just steps away from the station. I knew this because a) Peter told me in an email and b) before I left, Drew and I practiced my walk from the station to Peter’s front door on a website like Google earth. Peter’s place is lovely, bright, and a welcome sight for one tired and anxious girl and her bags.
Once I had somewhat settled in (that is, I got my bags into the bedroom and picked out a new outfit), I decided to go to work. My inner tourist (the fearless voice inside my head that routinely forgets how geographically challenged I am) advised walking to work and taking in some of Cambridge’s charm along the way. However, after hearing the walking directions, I wisely decided to ignore my inner tourist and take a cab instead.
The problem with the cab ride is that as we were speeding along the wrong side of the road, past all formidable buildings characteristic of Cambridge, my inner panicker took over, filling my head with all the groundless neurotic things you worry about on a Thursday afternoon when you leave your own country and venture forth into the great unknown: what exactly would I be doing at this new job? Do I know enough about Darwin to be here? Will they like me? Should I have worn the brown skirt rather than the black pants? Was this was a big mistake?
By the time we pulled up to the library, I was too busy with the practical task of fishing around for money and wondering how much you tip cab drivers, to notice the building itself. I paid my fare, got out of the cab, and took about six steps before I stopped dead in my tracks looking up. I must have stood there like that for a good 15 seconds because my concerned cab driver leaned out the window and said “everything alright Miss?” I turned to him and said “Holy crap! I can’t believe I am working here!” I regained my composure in enough time to see that he was laughing his head off as he drove away.
Cambridge University Library is a truly impressive building—both inside and out. I will include a picture once I can approach the building without feeling a little shiver of excitement down my spine. My walk to the library is just as impressive as the building itself. The last stretch involves walking through Clare College, which is gorgeous.
My wonderful new boss Alison was good enough to walk me into the city centre on Thursday after work, but she had to be careful not to lose me. At many points during the walk, I would simply stop and stare. She said there was a good 10 minutes where I said nothing more than “wow”. I managed to take a few pictures when I was with Alison. Unfortunately, the combination of camera phone and being overcome by the sheer beauty of Cambridge makes for very poor images. In spite of the poor quality, I will post them as soon as I get over my case of the stupids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment