Sunday, June 22, 2008

Eating in Cambridge

Okay, so the word on the street is British cooking leaves much to be desired. I am happy to report that my fellow Canadian, Liz, took me to an outstanding British restaurant in Cambridge on Friday night. We began with an amazing bottle of red (something New Zealand, with some Merlot and hints of cassis and cedary vanilla). I ordered the vegetarian special, this seriously tasty butternut squash loaf in an amaretti cookie crust with a mushroom and stilton sauce and a salad of lightly dressed micro greens and roasted peppers. Sounds weird, I know, but it was incredible. Liz had the honey-roasted chicken breast with garlic potato mash special, and was equally pleased. We finished with dessert—white chocolate cheesecake with raspberries and ginger passion fruit sorbet—and it was just as perfect as dinner. We ate, we drank, we ate some more, we drank some more. The eating and drinking was peppered with giggling conversations featuring some of the more colourful academics in our lives. I feel asleep on Friday night in a happy haze of amazing red wine and wonderfully inventive British cuisine. I should have taken some pictures, but I didn’t.

No comments: